Natural Resources Technician
Company: The Morton Arboretum
Category: Horticulture, Maintenance
Type: Full Time
The Morton Arboretum has an opening for the Natural Resources Technician position. This position performs a variety of duties relating to the maintenance and restoration of woodland, wetland, prairie, and aquatic natural areas. Essential Functions:
- Control invasive plant species by applying herbicide and removing plants in accordance with prescribed standards. Communicate with supervisor to understand and achieve natural area objectives.
- Collect seeds and assist in propagating plants. Prepare areas for planting, sow seeds, and plant native vegetation for ecological restoration.
- Implement prescribed burns and winter projects within natural areas.
- Assist with fisheries and wildlife management and conservation projects.
- May use GIS mapping and GPS technology to assist with the tracking and record keeping of natural resource projects.
- Learn, understand, and demonstrate the ability to safely operate and maintain all pesticides, tools and equipment according to the operator’s manuals.
- Provide guidance and direction to volunteers and seasonal employees.
- Participate in snow removal operations, including snow shoveling, snow blowing, and application of deicing materials.
- Assist with the set-up for special events and other large-scale grounds projects, as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.